How To Be Ready For An NBCOT Certification Renewal Audit
All OTR and COTA certificants who renew their NBCOT certification are subject to a random audit of their compliance with the professional development requirements. The number of certificants audited will be sufficient to provide a 95% confidence level regarding the renewal rate of OTR and COTA certificants. – NBCOT Certification Renewal Handbook
It’s a word we’ve all learned to dread. But, with proper preparation and planning, an audit can be a piece of cake. Here are a few tips to help you be ready in case you’re hit with an NBCOT certification renewal audit.
Follow all Steps in Renewal Process Carefully:
- Download and review NBCOT Certification Renewal handbook thoroughly BEFORE beginning
- Have all relevant documentation on hand before beginning.
Understand your Requirements:
- NBCOT certification is granted for a three-year period.
- The certification renewal season occurs between January and March annually, regardless of the month indicated on the certificant’s initial certification document.
- 36 units of continuing education required
- NBCOT Certificant Attestation read and agreed to
- Submit an online renewal application or mail in a paper renewal application
- Pay the associated fees
Choose your Continuing Education Provider Carefully:
- AOTA Approved provider
- IACET Authorized Provider
- Verify on association website using provider name/number
- Name of certificant
- Title of activity
- Hours awarded
- Date completed
- Approval information
Calculate CEU/PDU Conversion Accurately:
- CEUs can be converted to PDUs based on the type of activity
- Certificants can convert CEU to PDU using the PDU Calculator available here.
Retain ALL CEU/PDU Records:
- Certificates of completion should be saved in digital as well as hard-copy format
- Create a folder in your email to store ALL information pertaining to NBCOT certification
- Track and record all CEU providers you used to obtain valid NBCOT PDU credits
- Retain all records for a minimum of ONE year after renewing your certification
If you haven’t finished your NBCOT PDUs yet, there’s no time to waste.
Gain Full Access To Occupational Therapy University
12 Month Subscription
750+ CEU Video Hours